With all the attention on traditional higher impact exercises there needs to be consideration towards low impact exercises. There is a time and place for jumping up and down. Many people believe that you need to run around to get a good workout. this is not the case.
move at a regular pace by lifting and setting down each foot in turn, never having both feet off the ground at once.
Is walking low impact?
Yes and no. It’s not as much impact as running or jogging but there is some impact there. The walking shoes that you’re wearing as well as the surface you are walking on have a major influence on the amount of impact there is with this type of exercise.
Best Walking Books
- The Times Britain’s Best Walks
- Great British Walks: “Countryfile” – 100 Unique Walks Through Our Most Stunning Countryside
- The Salt Path: The Sunday Times bestseller, shortlisted for the 2018 Costa Biography Award & The Wainwright Prize – Best Seller
Best Walking Video
With over 45 Million views, the 1 mile happy walk is the most popular walking exercise video on Youtube. Check it out.
a system of exercises using special apparatus, designed to improve physical strength, flexibility, and posture, and enhance mental awareness.
Is Pilates low impact?
Yes, Pilates does not involve any impact. there are modified versions that use more dynamic movements but nothing that could be considered impact. Pilates focuses on control, breathing & abdominal work.
Best Pilates Books
- The Pilates Bible: The most comprehensive and accessible guide to Pilates ever – Best Seller
- PILATES RETURN TO LIFE THROUGH CONTROL
- Women’s Health Big Book of Pilates
Best Pilates Video
a Hindu spiritual and ascetic discipline, a part of which, including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific bodily postures, is widely practised for health and relaxation.
Is Yoga low impact?
Yes, it’s very similar to Pilates. A more spiritual in it’s approach. There is little to no impact with Yoga.
Best Yoga Books
- Light on Yoga: The Definitive Guide to Yoga Practice – Best Seller
- Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha
- Yoga Sutras of Patanjali: New Edition
Best Yoga Video
the sport or activity of propelling oneself through water using the limbs.
Is swimming low impact?
One of the most low impact exercises you can do, swimming is in our opinion in the top 2 of best low impact exercises. Whilst swimming alone is practically non impact, aqua exercises classes and movements can adds level of impact depending on the movement.
Best Swimming Books
- Swim Smooth: The Complete Coaching System for Swimmers and Triathletes
- Swimming Anatomy
- Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To Swim Better, Faster, and Easier – Best Seller
Best Swimming Video
5. Body Weight Exercises
Body weight exercises are strength training exercises that use the individual’s own weight to provide resistance against gravity.
Are body weight exercises low impact?
Body weight exercises can be very low impact depending on the type of movement. Static exercises like squats and press ups are low impact. Movement based work involving jumping or explosive movement are going to add a level of impact to the workout.
Best Bodyweight Books
- Strength Training Anatomy
- Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy – Best Seller
- Not a Diet Book: Take Control. Gain Confidence. Change Your Life.
Best Bodyweight Exercise Video
the sport or activity of riding a bicycle. Cycle racing has three main forms: road racing (typically over long distances), pursuit (on an oval track), and cyclo-cross (over rough, open country).
Is cycling low impact exercise?
Cycling is an excellent low impact form of exercise. Resistance is applied to the pedals in a seated position without any striking or impact whatsoever. Cycling can be one of the best forms of exercise for lower body strength and the cardiovascular system.
Best Cycling Books
- Epic Bike Rides of the World: Explore the Planet’s Most Thrilling Cycling Routes (Lonely Planet)
- One Man and His Bike – Best Seller
- One Way Ticket: Nine Lives on Two Wheels